Saturday, March 1, 2008

Mike's New Camera (with more on weight reduction)


I too got a new camera -- partly inspired by Stacey's miniature wonder of technology and partly 'cause I've been reading about Lumix cameras for awhile and like the idea of the wide angle super-zoom and Leica optics. It also weighs in at three-quarters of a pound less than my SLR-style FinePix and presents less of a target for would-be thieves. :)

Still to be figured out: How to carry stuff like this so it's both accessible and secure? 

2 comments:

Sione said...

That's tricky. The best ways I've found are either to hold it in your hand the entire time (tiring and still open to theft by the most aggressive thieves) or to carry a bag, like a purse or a man-purse, that has one main zippered compartment and to walk around with your hand on the zipper the whole time. Since I adopted the second strategy I have not been robbed again. Most European thieves prefer to stick to clandestine maneuvers so that they're long gone by the time you notice something's missing.

Stacey Lee Donohue said...

Thank you for the advice, Sione! I know Mike is actually looking for a "man purse" so that we don't have to carry daypacks. I also found this interesting website on How Pickpockets work: http://travel.howstuffworks.com/pickpocket.htm