Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Settling down in Siena

It took us 5 hours to get to Siena door to door so we are tired right now. But, Siena looks interesting so far. We will know more tomorrow in the daylight. We did find two great pubs both with balconies overlooking Il Campo, where the Palio (horse races) are held every July and Aug. We had apps in the first bar and pizza and panini in the 2nd bar called Key Largo. Met a student from Reed College in Portland who is studying in Italy. Wonderful view of the campo as we ate our dinner (tho I am in desperate need of fresh veggies...luckily the farmers market is tomorrow).

It is a little rainy here, but not so cold now that the wind has died down.

I have SO much to add to our blog, but that will have to wait till tomorrow. Claudio, our host in Manarola, was a fascinating man. He made us mint tea as we waited for our wonderful apartment to be cleaned. And I forgot to write about the art students in Lucca who spent literally 8 hours sketching San Michele in different lights with their art instructor standing around the entire time smoking cigarettes. And about the several times that Mike and I have spoken in Italian and been understood by Italians (and of course the numerous times we were not understood). I actually have a list of other details to add here and I will tomorrow....

A summary of night noises so far:
Venice--parties in the piazza outside our window till 2am but then quiet till 9am when the Rialto market opened.

Florence--quiet all night long since we were not near a piazza till the pigeons woke us around 7am.

Lucca--quiet all night till the shopkeepers opened their stores around 7am or so.

Manarola--waves crashing, seagulls....wonderful!!

Siena???

Ciao for now!!

Stacey

No comments: