Since Sorrento is just too beautiful and I have yet to find affordable and fast internet access, this may be my last post. There is so much I have not posted yet: thoughts, reflections, little details (like the Italian man yelling at the British teenagers to respect his country as they are guests--they had their feet on the train seats, and finding a wonderful bookstore in Rome called Bibli where they were showing The Quiet American, with Michael Caine, in English with Italian subtitles, so it was the first movie we have seen in Italy, and hearing everyone laugh at the lines that indirectly critiqued the Iraq war...AND I must talk about crossing streets in most cities in Italy where there are no stop signs or lights--pedestrians simply walk into the street and the speeding cars and motorinos STOP--it is quite empowering) that I have not included in this blog. I will definitely ADD to this blog when we get home. I have been keeping a written journal so those details are in writing and not just fleeting memory.
Today we spent the day in Pompeii...not nearly enough time to see it all, of course, but enough to truly appreciate the ruins. I have wanted to visit Pompeii since Janet and I took Latin with Mr. Higgins and he focused one term lesson on Pompeii. And Janet, Italians really do say SALVE for hello (tho buon giorno is more common).
Mike is hiking up Vesuvius and I am back in Sorrento, not at all interested in hiking up a volcano, thank you very much (though I cannot wait to see his pictures--he took pictures from Mt. Solano on Capri yesterday where he took the chair lift up, and they are stunning...we will definitely post those at some point). I am thinking of taking a dip into the Bay of Sorrento now, joining the very very many British tourists who are here on vacation (and the many Italians who are here for the weekend). Despite the crowds, tho, Sorrento does not feel crowded (Capri definitely DID feel crowded). In fact, so much of Sorrento looks like the setting of British movies that take place in the 40s or 50s. There is a place called the Foreigners Club that looks very familiar to me (and it has wonderful public bathrooms)! The Engish Patient perhaps??
Tomorrow we plan to visit Positano, the beautiful city on the Amalfi Coast drive (and accessible by boat) that is the featured location of so many movies.....
Ciao for now!
Saturday, May 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment