Finally, a few more photos -- only horizontal, as I don't know how to rotate the vertical snaps from the flashcard. (Once home, I'll photoshop our highlights and inundate all viewers.)
Going from ancient Rome one day and Vatican City the next was a dizzying experience. Both huge empires, but in vastly different states. Very cool. It was rainy all day yesterday -- the thunder rocked the Pinacoteca museum in the Vatican, causing even the serious guards to roll up the shades to look.
We could spend weeks here and not exhaust the offerings, but I'm looking forward to Sorrento tomorrow. Peace is one of the great offerings of Italy.
More later. Ciao!
3 comments:
How pretty! Do you recommend Rome then?
Lovely story about the thunder storms. It sounds like such a great trip. We spent no time in the Trastevere -- you make me want to go back and visit it. I appreciated your comments about empire and thought "vaster than empires and more slow".
"drunk American students" is redundant. Enjoy Keats place.
I'd absolutely recommend Rome -- especially if you take time to find refuge away from the crowds once in awhile. It's gorgeous, clean, and full of stuff you cannot find anywhere else.
In hindsight, there were a couple of creepy moments -- a shop owner showering immigrant salesfolk with what looked like (and I hope was) water, and a sales stand that included Mussolini merchandise -- but we see Confederate flags and anti-immigrant actions on the streets of Bend, Portland, etc.
Regading empire, I am in awe of the narrowness of the difference between humans honestly striving to reach beyond themselves (Brunelleschi's dome in Firenze strikes me as a fine example) and sheer self/ego-glorification (I'll let the readers fill in the blanks).
Post a Comment